Updates may come from time to time as I implement new cores for the MiST board.These are my own FPGA developments. My original purpose with the FPGAs was to simplify my circuits. I had a plan that I would reimplement my favourite computer, the Sinclair ZX Spectrum with parts available today. I did not know that that whole machine would fit in an FPGA back then. Well, it turned out that the Speccy was only the beginning. Some friends of mine kept urging me to work on other old computers, mainly classic Hungarian ones, such as
It took years to learn what I know now about the FPGAs. (If you want to know what the FPGAs really are, look around on the Internet). For now, briefly only: FPGAs are highly integrated digital circuits where the internal connection in not fixed, but can vary based on the configuration, which is loaded into the FPGA when it starts. Configuration specifies the internal (actual) connections inside the chip. FPGAs are available in different density and capacity from a couple of thousand gates to millions. At the end, the possibilities are endless, as long as our design fits into a given device.
Besides the classic digital "bricks" (gates, muxes and demuxes, counters, etc.) FPGAs contain special modules as well, which help us to make faster and simpler circuits. Some examples:
- PLL and DCM: Phase-Locked-Loops and Digital Clock Managers help us to generate clock signals, phase shifting and in all the clock related jobs. For example you don't need many external oscillators to have different clocks. One master clock is enough and the PLL/DCM surely can make the other clocks for you. (Well, within certain limits, of course)
- DSP/Muliplier: hardware multipliers and Digital Signal Processors help in high-speed calculations. For example, in your next CPU design you can use one, and the MULT instruction will take only 1T cycle. Neat, is it not?
- Block RAM memory: Internal synchronous static rams are small but very fast. The main purpose of these is creating FIFOs or CACHE modules. Or, you can use as ROM or Video RAM in your work. (As long as the FPGA has enough of them.) True DUAL-PORT feature makes them great indeed. It means that the memory area can be accessed from two individual sides (almost) independently.
- I/O: Different I/O standards are available for the external connections (LVTTL, LVCMOS, PCI, TMDS, DDR). Voltage levels can also vary in a wide range (1.2V, 1.8V, 2.5V. 3.3V). No, there is no 5V tolerant interface though. :-) Special pins can accept different external CLOCKs.
We can choose different ways to design the internal circuits for the FPGA. If someone wants, even schematic drawing is an option, but I don't think it's a good idea. As the complexity grows, soon the designer goes crazy. There must be better ways. This is, where HDL (Hardware Description Language) languages comes into the scope. Designers use two main languages nowadays: Verilog and VHDL. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but the goal is the same: describing how the circuit should work. My opinion is that for beginners, VHDL may be a bit easier. This is what I use, though I can read Verilog, too.
I think it is useful to know the traditional ways of digital designs when we start with FPGAs. Not absolutely necessary, but helps a lot if you know what is a gate and a multiplexer, flip-flop and other "old school stuffs". Perhaps knowledge grows faster if we don't start from "zero", but have some "base" to build on to.
As I worked with FPGAs in the past years, I also leaned to use one circuit designer application, so I could design my own developer board. Well, surely there are cheaper and better commercial boards available on the market, but making your own is such a fun. At the moment I use two boards mainly:
- my own board which has a Xilinx Spartan 6 (LX9)FPGA,
- "the" MiST board with an Altera Cyclone III FPGA.
|The Xilinx Spartan 6 developer board||The MiST board||Implementations:|
Links and references:
Send me a feedback Others' feedback:
|Who: email@example.com||When: 2018-10-20 11:43:00|
Great to fulfill you. I am Joseph from Bluetooth Device Ltd, a Hong Kong based innovation business specialized in Bluetooth and also cordless products consisting of: Bluetooth headsets, audio speakers, adapters, charging devices and also range of car devices.
Hifi High Quality Bass Stereo Mini Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speakers (Metallic Shades).
Offering point 1: High Noise High Quality with Bluetooth V4.1.
Offering factor 2: 5W in tiny cutie style, Easy to lug, best for outdoor.
Have you located that the majority of the wireless audio speaker are either inadequate audio quality or too heavy to bring outside?
Please examine our boosted version of Bluetooth V4.1 mini audio speaker! Our engineers invested over half year to choose the leading material from hundreds for this small speaker, just to pursuit for the best audio high quality among the similar audio speakers.
Since we were Music Lovers that launched with DIY Tube Preamp considering that 2008!
Hi-Fi High quality! Durable battery! Grand Metallic Color Styles!
Connect for additional information:
We only create finest products, both in feature and outlook layout.
Hi-Fi Quality! Long long-term battery! Grand Metallic Colors!
Have a nice day!
6F Leader Industrial Centre,
57 Au Pui Wan Street,
|Who: Ashly Cheesman||When: 2018-09-21 01:50:58|
Nice to fulfill you. I am Matthew from Bluetooth Gadget Ltd, a Hong Kong based technology company concentrated on Bluetooth as well as wireless items including: Bluetooth headsets, audio speakers, adapters, charging gadgets and range of devices.
2 in 1 Digital Drafting Board/ Note Pad/ Writing Tablet Computer + Phone Situation for Iphones X 8 7 6
Required a digital pen to drop notes or draw something for your iphone?
Below comes an Iphone instance that you can do so. Helpful for revealing/ videotaping your concept, educating your youngsters and altering the skin of your instance anytime!
Even more information below:
We only produce best items, both in function as well as outlook design
Have a nice day!
Best relates to,
6F Leader Industrial Centre,
57 Au Pui Wan Street,
Why choose us?
Most current company version-- Makers union to save your time and cost
We created a Mobile Add-on Manufacturers Union with our very- closed manufacturing facilities and also we possessed the firm shares each other so that merchandisers could position orders for different mobile devices products in a more convenient way without the unneeded price by trading companies.
Contact: write to this email: